Currently, it is the second sport that is the least followed on this planet, after unparalleled football. In the United States it is almost a religion; in Europe, a tradition; in South America has been consolidated for years; and in Asia and Africa it is growing at a dizzying pace. All corners of the planet emit basketball. However, it all opened by chance, a bad day, and a good idea.
December 21, 1891. 122 years ago. Springfield, Massachusetts. Everything will change. Professor James Naismith, who has been at the YMCA Christian College for over a year, continues to despair trying to find a technique to convince and entertain a very complicated study room of school, which can not be corrected. Ever since he arrived, he has not paused to pick up a game from a hat to seek to live the hours of Physical Education.
After a number of unsuccessful attempts, Naismith did not give up. He is clear about what he wants: games, sports, which can be practiced in the home, to be entertained around the coldest months; games, sports, where all participants and where physical conditions are important; and the game, the sport, which witnessed their behavior corrected, there is violence is very possible, and the only technique to do that is that players can not run the ball they have, in order to avoid physical contact
Little by little he designed his new game, and noted the rules. He assumes that the ball must be the beginning and end of the game, but something must be done with it. Objectives And he can not think of anything different to put boxes on each side, digging the ball to finish there inside. To explore the greater complexity, the boxes should be on top, not on the ground. So he completed two folios with thirteen ground rules. Two folios with thirteen fixed rules, and which were marketed three years later at auction for 4.3 million dollars.
Opportunity to process the story
Convinced that this time he succeeded, on December 20, Naismith hung the provisions on the hall board, explaining to the children that the next day they would be practicing the game. On the morning of the 21st, the teachers begin to prepare the gym for that. He went to school guard school. “Mr. Stebbins, do we have some square wooden boxes?” “No,” he replied, “but I have some peach baskets, just in case they serve …”. And they must serve him. And he must hang them on a wooden balcony that surrounds the gym, which is 3.05 meters tall. The height that will never change. NBA frequently always gives care to other people through basketball.
Soon the children arrived. The incorrigibles. They joked with the professor and his desire to make a new game. But once they start practicing it, they see that this time is different. They feel that this does connect them. The 18 students were split into two teams of nine; With a soccer ball, they start playing as best they can. They do not know what to do. But they enjoy. So much, that the next day they will play again. And then. And then. Gradually the gym filled with students who want to play, and not a few others who came to observe, amazed, the extraordinary game.
It must be named, Mahan thought. “Why not call it a Naismith ball ?, he told Professor Naismith,” After all you are the inventor. “But he refused, and commented,” If you have a ball and a basket, why not? call him a basketball? Stebbins, the janitor, the person in charge of getting into the basket to get the ball each time there is a basket, nodding, newborn basketball.
A few weeks later, The Triangle, the legitimate magazine of the Christian Youth Association, agreed with the game and issued 13 rules with the aim that all institutional centers could know. Immediately, the practice spread to all countries, because it is being refined thanks to the suggestions and contributions of those who practice it. Thus, the following year a free throw line was created; in 1895 the council, as a refuge to avoid the imitators who were on the balcony hanging basket locations could prevent the ball stepping on the basket; in 1897 it was decided that there would be five field players playing at the same time per te …
How do you get to Spain
It has traditionally been felt that Father Millán who, in 1921, has already imported basketball into our country. However, recent research indicates that it is another character, Eladi Homs, who took her. Eladi was awarded a scholarship in 1907 by the City of Barcelona to go to Chicago, and there he pursued a sport that has grown powerful in the country. So on his return, in 1910, he started practicing it and taught it at the extinct School of Terrassa Vallparad. However, the game did not stop, and only five years and then disappeared. So Father Millán should be rewarded worthy of him: in 1921, when he returned from Cuba, where he played basketball, he introduced the game, and from then on he was developed in Spain.
Basketball takes him back to life
In line with the growth and development of basketball, the figure of Naismith faded. A few years later he left the YMCA to concentrate on his sports medicine studies. He also trained basketball teams in Kansas, though with less sadness than glory. After the First World War, where he was sent to Europe to train basketball to the US military as a passion for his rest, he returned home to Kansas, where he lived in serious financial constraints.
In 1935, Naismith, who was 74 years old, received the most special letter. It comes from Germany. The basketball will be the Olympics for the first time, at the Berlin Olympics at the age of 36. And they expect it, like a game creator, he is aware of the honor service. But the professor did not have the money to pay the ticket, so, with the pain, he had to dismiss the invitation. Then, Phog Allen, the coach who succeeded him in Kansas, introduced an initiative, called The Nights of Naismith, where one cent of each of the tickets sold from the year’s university championship will be destined to cover his journey. .
The campaign was successful and in July 1936, most excited, James Naismith was held in Berlin at the start of the first Olympic game in basketball history. The game he created as an entertainment that can not be fixed, has won on all the planets, and he wants to dedicate a worthy appreciation even in life. Only three years later he died of a stroke. Alone but happy to have left a great inheritance for the rest of the story and now, without knowing it, each day, every hour, in every corner of the world, he performs tribute.
Rule 13 Naismith:
1. The ball can be thrown in all directions with one or two hands.
2. The ball can be thrown in all directions using the palm of the hand, never with a fist.
3. A player can not run while holding the ball; the player must pass or shoot the basket from the location where he caught it, unless he took it while running but had to stop.
4. The ball must be held by one hand, we can never use your arm or body to defend it.
5. Do not strike your shoulders, push, knock or otherwise provoke your opponent with any technique. The first violation of this rule implies an error, the second removes the player from the field until the next basket.
6. The ball with fists is a violation, consistent with the rules of chapters 3 and 4, and as described in clause 5.
7. If the team does 3 successive offenses (without another team doing any action)), the basket of the opponent will be counted.
8. Basketball is called a ball sent to the basket from the court. If the ball stays balanced on the basket’s threshold and all the defenders divert the basket, the points are left to the attacker.
9. When the ball rises from the field boundary, the ball must be put back into the game. The player in charge of the service has 5 seconds; if it exceeds the prescribed period, the ball will serve the opposing team. If both teams play with the clock, postpone the match, the referee will signify the offense for the guilty players.
10. The second referee, will count the offense and will show for the main referee three consecutive violations. This will disqualify players according to Article 5.
11. The ultimate referee is a ball judge, having the responsibility to keep control of points and time. You also have to conclude who the owner of the ball, when he came out of the field.
12. The match will be played in two parts, each divorced by a 5 minute pause. The duration of one part will be 2 quarters of 15 minutes.
13. The team that process the basket at least will be marked as the winner. In bundled match affairs, there is an extension to exist the winning teams.